Monday 26 December 2011

Chocky Wocky - Wonky Service

Chocolate is my favourite pastime. I just love it. Smelling it, eating it, licking it, talking about it. I consider myself to be a kind of chocolate connoisseur. You could even say I am a chocolate snob, as much as I am a coffee snob. I can't do bad chocolate.

I live in Sydney, which means great chocolate is limited to a select few places. And then it gets discovered by the mainstream and becomes all too commercial with a million outlets. The special-ness of it goes.  You know which one I'm talking about right? The chocolate shop that started in a cute little terrace in Paddington and ended up in every Westfield's across Australia. Max Brennar's, the bald man. Although its on every corner, I still can't resist it every now and then for a warm huggie-mug treat.

Today being the day after boxing day and still a public holiday, our little family decided to go for a walk with the dog and treat ourselves to a hot chocolate in Newtown for our efforts. Despite being in the peak of summer, Sydney has not delivered the balmy weather of my childhood, and a hot chocolate is a very nice afternoon treat.

Son and I went in and found a neat little corner on the bar bench to settle. I got up to order and waited at the counter to be served. I suspect the man behind the counter was the manager, because out of the three he was the only one with a sense of authority about him. The other two were busy handing out coffees and generally looking busy. One of them came up beside me at the counter to grab the hot chocolates for a table and instead of asking me politely to move aside, he grunted "MOVE".

Excuse me? (yes, thats the correct term to use when you're asking someone to move out of the way).

The manager looked up and realised I wanted to order (thats why I normally stand at a counter), and nodded his head my way to motion for me to let him know what I wanted. At this point, I probably should have left, but the thought of disappointing my son after promising him a MB treat was too much. I handed over my money and took my number back to the bar bench to wait.

I twitted out my experience. And waited.

And waited.

When our hot chocolate huggie mugs were made, the manager decided to hand them over the top of the high bar bench, rather than walk them around to my young son and myself. I had to grab mine quickly and put it down to grab my sons before a boiling hot chocolate was poured all over him.

While son and I sat and dranked our huggie mugs (and yes, they were delicious) a few young local kids walked into the store and to the chocolate bar area where they were being very obvious about grabbing a few and pocketing them before walking out.

I did think of letting the manager know..... and then decided justice had been served.

No comments:

Post a Comment